A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OUR READERS!
Last calls for the Ladies Lunch (17th Jan) and Burns Night (23rd Jan)
• Since the last NEWS the ones have suffered two defeats, losing pre Christmas at Stoke 3-10 (with a very young squad) and, more disappointingly, losing last week at home to Stratford, 3-8. The reports of both games, together with the piccies are on the web site. We have now dropped down to 6th in the league. In this period only two other club games have been played, the Colts losing at Nuneaton, 5-43 and the Cavaliers losing at Stratford 10-16.
• On Saturday (10th) the ones are away at Walsall who are lying in 7th spot in the league with seven wins, seven losses and a draw. The earlier game at Kenilworth was very close and we edged it, 20-18 with a score in the last minute. If you cannot make the game then follow it on Twitter @kenilworthrugby or through the web site twitter feed. The Colts are at home on the main pitch against Camp Hill. There are no suitable pool opponents for the 2's and 3's so an interclub game is planned.
• Next week we are back at home with a game against Whitchurch. Prior to this game there is a Ladies Lunch and full details of this are on the web site.
Unpaid Subscriptions: There are still quite a number of 'members' – including players who have not yet paid their club subscription for the season and we wish to advise that anyone who has not paid their subs will not be allowed to play for the club, use the bar or any of our facilities and their membership card will be excluded from the drink discount system. If anyone is particularly struggling financially to pay their subs please talk to Peter Blakeman or Bruce Doe and we will do what we can to help.
• The semi final draw for the Warwickshire Cup has paired us with Berkswell & Balsall with the other semi final being Nuneaton and Sutton Coldfield. These games are down to be played on 25th Jan at neutral venues and we are to play at Old Leamingtonians.
• The Club have now launched our 'DO 90' campaign and full details have been issued and are now on the web site. The planned events are included in the Events section.
• As part of the DO 90 campaign, Jos Selby has decided to raise money to buy a defibrillator for the club and will run 90km over 30 consecutive days (3km per day) with a view to raising £900 – the cost of an automatic defibrillator. He will be running the 3km per day at FitnessWorx gym on the running machine (his knees can't cope with road running these days) starting on Monday 12th January. Jos believes all clubs should have a bit of kit such as this for the pure and simple reason that if someone has a cardiac arrest outside of hospital with no trained people nearby the survival rate is just 6% and incredibly this rises to 60% if there is a defibrillator to hand. These statistics coupled with recent events such as the tragic death of a schoolboy whilst playing rugby highlights the need for clubs and schools to have adequate training and equipment. There are screening programmes available aimed at picking up heart problems but these only detect 60-80% of conditions. For example the Bolton footballer Fabrice Muamba had been screened 3 times but still suffered a cardiac arrest when playing against Tottenham in 2012. In that case the pitch side medical staff and a defibrillator helped save his life.
• You may recall the photo session we had at Kenilworth Castle. If you wish a copy of the main group photo, or an individual team photo then please contact me and I will arrange for it to be sent to you.
• Soon it will be RFU Raffle time and you will all be sent books of tickets to sell with some superb prizes. The person who sells the most books will be guaranteed access to four tickets for the 2016 Six Nations games.
• The Barbarians are offering a 2 for one ticket offer for their game v Argentina game at Twickenham on 21st Nov 2016. Special discounted 2 for 1 early bird adult tickets are available, for a limited period only, from £30 for adults (for two tickets) and £15 for juniors (U16) at www.ticketmaster.co.uk 0844 847 2492. (Booking fees apply). Please do not apply to me for these but direct to Ticketmaster.
• We have agreed to host two junior South Warwickshire fixtures against Oxfordshire on the 14th Jan and the U14's will kick off at 6pm and the U15's at 7.30pm. On the 21st Jan the U15's will take on a Greater Birmingham squad with a 7.15pm kick off. Please note that on these nights the touch rugby will be held on the Training Pitch, weather willing.
• UP & COMING EVENTS @ KRFC
10th Jan Colts v Camp Hill
14th Jan South Warwickshire U14 & U15's v Oxon, 6 & 7.30
17th Jan v Whitchurch, LADIES LUNCH
21st Jan South Warwickshire U15's v Greater Birmingham, 7.15
23rd Jan BURNS NIGHT
25th Jan Warwickshire Cup Semi Final
7th Feb v Berkswell & Balsall, FORMER PLAYERS & 90th LUNCH
28th Feb v Earlsdon
6th Mar Sporting Celebrity Dinner
21st Mar v Worcester Wanderers
28th Mar v Leek
17th Apr Speed Networking Breakfast – Kenilworth Chamber of Trade, 8am
25/26th Apr M&J FESTIVAL
25th Apr 90th ANNIVERSARY MATCH & BBQ
NEWS OF MEMBERS
- Andy Bladon, son of Simon, has now completed his Doctorate and if you see him in the club you will need to address him as Doctor Bladon! – well done Andy, both for this and having the sense to take a job in Glasgow!
- Simon Tyler is now playing for Muscat RFC in Oman and has his debut on 9th Jan, starting at full back. He says the squad are predominately South Africans so he thinks it is a pretty physical team!