KENILWORTH WEEKLY NEWS, 26TH FEB 2016
Lots and lots of new news to digest! Read on!
• Those who attended our first XV game last week were well impressed by our performance rating it as maybe the best of our season to date. However we still lost, 22-27, just failing in the closing minutes to earn the try to defeat the impressive league leaders. We scored three tries courtesy of Joe Jepps (2) and Bobby Thompson and gained a losing bonus point. Sophie’s superb report is on the web site together with piccies. The Bridgnorth photographer also sent his piccies and the link to his is on the web site.
• The only other game last week (Old Leamingtonians 2’s and Newbold Colts both called off) were the Ladies and they had a superb 57-7 win over Coventry Welsh, avenging their recent narrow defeat of a few weeks back. The Ladies have now played their required number of games and will enter a league next season. They have impressed so much they are likely to gain entry to a higher league than the bottom one!
• The game for the first XV this Saturday is an away fixture at Burton, always a good place to visit. Burton have had a disappointing season (their quote!) and currently lie in 5th spot on 55 points, five above us in 7th. Last week they lost 17-6 at Hereford. It should be a good free flowing game and gives us a decent opportunity to arrest our four run losing streak.
• The Cavaliers home fixture with Shipston has been called off (by them) leaving us with no home fixture this Saturday. The Colts are away at Nuneaton and our 3’s/Pirates are in action at Old Yardleian Vets. We are still on 2.15 ko’s, the last Saturday!
• On Sunday the Ladies are at home to Coalville, 2pm, the pitch they play on being dependant on the weather.
• Next weekend (5th March) we are back at home against Crewe & Nantwich. This is the day of the Former Players Lunch. Our Colts play (TBC) their Warwickshire Cup game at Barkers whilst the Cavaliers are down to play at Shipston. Our 3’s/Pirates are also down to play Old Laurentians at home. These will all be 3pm ko’s.
• We are now a registered Community Club with Wasps and if you buy your tickets through Kenilworth RFC then we receive a cash back. The link for this is on the home page of the web site.
• On the 16th April there is another Ladies Lunch and more info on this will soon be available.
• On Wednesday night, 2nd March we are hosting a double Warwickshire game at U14 & U15 level. The U14 game will kick off at 6.15 wit the U15’s at 7.30. There will be many Kenilworth boys on show so why not come down for an early beer and take the games in. The bar will open at 6pm.
• There is a lot in the press at the moment of the merging Warwick DC Local Plan and to see how this affects Kenilworth there is now an article on our web site.
• The Club Dinner will be held at the club on Friday 6th May.
• There is some great news on one of our ex Juniors/Colts. Jacob Umaga, son of Mike, has been selected for England U18’s to play France in Paris tomorrow. We wish him well.
• Sophie, our superb new reporter (and now Ladies player!) has been doing some articles for therugbyblog.com and her latest piece can be found at http://www.therugbyblog.com/?s=Matt+Mullan&submit=Search
• You should by now have received your batch of RFU Raffle tickets and these need to be returned next week. This is one of the easiest fund raising things we can do but it needs co-operation from everyone to sell their batch of tickets and return them. The club gets 90% of the proceeds which will be put to very good cause(s) across all sections of the club. Please co-operate and start selling! Extra tickets are available behind the bar if you wish.
• Tonight is Wales v France in the Six Nations at 8.05pm. Tomorrow is Italy v Scotland at 2.25 and England v Ireland at 4.50pm.
SUMMARY OF EVENTS @ KRFC
Fri 26th Feb Wales v France, 8pm
Sat 27th Feb Italy v Scotland, 2.25: England v Ireland, 4.50
Sun 28th Feb Ladies v Coalville, 2pm
Wed 2nd Mar Warwickshire U14’s & U15’s from 6.15pm.
Thurs 3rd Mar A Night with John Inverdale
Sat 5th Mar v Crewe & Nantwich, Former Players Lunch
Fri 11th Mar St David’s Night Dinner
18th/20th Mar Pirates Tour
2nd Apr v Hereford
16th Apr Ladies Lunch
23/24th Apr M&J Festival
Fri 6th May Club Dinner