KENILWORTH RFC NEWS: 9th MARCH 2018
Ladies semi final on 25th March
Kenilworth U15 Schools Cup success
Taff Phillips and the London Marathon
• No games were played last week due to the snow.
• This weekend, our men’s first XV are at home to the unbeaten (over two seasons would you believe!) league leaders Droitwich and here is a big chance for our boys to put the woes of the last few weeks behind them and come up with a decent scalp. Kick off is 3pm and if you cannot make the game there will be regular tweets. Before the game there is a Former Players Lunch. The programme will be up on the web site from 6pm tonight. Our two’s are down to play at Stratford whilst our Colts are at home to local rivals Leamington.
• Our Ladies were down to play Rugby Lionesses in a league game on Sunday but, unfortunately Rugby have pulled out of the fixture. Our girls are currently seven points ahead of Five Ways after eleven games (of fourteen) and if Five Ways do not win this weekend we could be crowned champions – bit of an anticlimax but we will take it! If they do win their league they are not guarantied automatic promotion and may need to go into a play off.
• Next Saturday we are down to play the Berkswell & Balsall league game postponed last week. Our two’s are at home to Earlsdon and our Colts are at Long Buckby. Our Ladies are down to play at Five Ways Old Eds on the Sunday and this could be very interesting if the title is still up for grabs. I have no news yet of when the Second XV final will be played.
• The success of our Ladies is putting a lot of pressure on coach Tim Burden and he is looking for some assistance – if anyone out there is interested in assisting him then please contact me and I will put your name and details to Tim.
• The Sporting Dinner with Jim Hamilton has been cancelled due to a lack of take up of tickets.
• The Ladies are at home on Sunday 25th March in the semi final of the RFU Intermediate Cup against Bury St Edmonds (who defeated Old Leamingtonians Ladies in the 1/4r final). This is arguably the biggest game Kenilworth, as a club, have hosted and the Ladies are looking for a big support. Kick off is 2pm.
• Attention all Golfers – the Spurgeon Cup is making a comeback – 1st June at Kenilworth Golf Club. Further details will soon be posted on the web site and the club noticeboards.
• England v Barbarians – 27th May - the RFU are doing a deal for this game with tickets at £10 for juniors and £15 for adults. If anyone wants a ticket(s) then please contact me and I will arrange it, or provide you with a link if a large group is involved.
• It is Worthies voting time again and we ask you to register your vote for one of our entrants (Ladies and M&J Section) by the end of this month at http://kenilworthchamber.co.uk/the-worthies/
• Kenilworth School U15’s, coached by our own Ted Hunter, have reached the final of the National Schools Vase and this is to be played at Twickenham on 14th March. There is a coach going to the game but if you cannot make it then it is to be broadcast live on a stream on RFU TV. Exciting times for these lads, many of whom play for our successful U15 sqaud. We wish them well. You can catch the semi final highlights at http://www.englandrugby.com/news/schools-cup-semi-finals-happened-1328752/
• Taff Phillips is running in the London Marathon again, his 18th consecutive one, for the Brain & Spine Foundation Charity – you can check it out at https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Team/phillipsvlm2018 This will be Taff’s 492nd marathon and to mark this Taff and his wife have been invited to a Garden Party at the Palace in May. Well done Taff!
UPANDCOMING EVENTS AT KRFC
10th Mar v Droitwich, 3.00, Former Players Lunch
10th Mar colts v Leamington
10th Mar France v England, 4.45
14th Mar Kenilworth School U15’s at Twickenham in Vase Final
16th Mar Pirates Tour
17th Mar England v Ireland, 2.45
24th Mar Ladies Lunch
25th Mar Ladies v Bury St Edmonds, Int Cup ½ final
31st Mar Barbarians v Princethorpe OB’s, 2pm
7th April v Evesham, 3.00 Last home league game
15th April U15’s Cup Final at The Butts
1st June Spurgeon Cup (Golf Day)