KENILWORTH RFC NEWS: 7th Dec 2017
Pirates game at OC’s this Friday night in Wal’s game – get your boots on!
Xmas Lunch on 16th Dec – spaces available & prizes wanted
Pirate’s Lunch on 6th Jan
Call for Touch Rugby players!
News on Dubai Sevens
• The first XV returned to winning ways last week with a 32-13 bonus point win at home to Earlsdon. At half-time we were down 7-10 to an impressive looking Earlsdon but Wayne & Chris said and changed something at the break and we ran away good winners in the second half. Our try scorers were Ed Hannam, Gaz Renowden, Charlie Stevens and Dan Minks with Simon Tyler having a good day with the boot. We remain in 3rd spot in the league (seven off Droitwich and five off Malvern) following Droitwich’s narrow win (21-19) at Leamington and Malvern’s demolition of Berkswell & Balsall. Our two’s called off the fixture at Earlsdon but our Ladies travelled to Rugby Lionesses and came back with another big win, 63-0 to remain top of their league. The reports for the men’s and ladies games, together with piccies, are on the web site.
• On Wednesday night our Colts took on Barkers Butts under the lights and came up 24-10 winners in a truly superb performance. More info to follow.
• This week the first XV have an awkward looking fixture at Evesham who are currently lying in 6th spot with four wins and five losses – last week they lost 11-18 at home to Southam. We must simply keep winning to keep up the pressure on Droitwich and Malvern who play each other this weekend at Droitwich.
• Before the game there are a few of us going to The Fleece Inn, just outside Evesham (https://thefleeceinn.co.uk/) and I have been told on good authority that they do very good food and fine ales!
• On Friday night (8th) our Pirates are playing away at Old Coventrians Vets in the Wal Prescott Memorial match. Dom would be delighted to see a few more players in attendance!
• The Colts game at Rugby Lions on Saturday has been called off (by them) and on Sunday our Ladies are at home in the league against Olney, a team they defeated 45-12 earlier in the season. The Ladies Development Squad have arranged a fixture for 13th Dec against De Montfort University, kick off 7pm.
• The Colts have an away day on Sunday 17th Dec and they are travelling to play Oxford Harlequins. There is a coach going and everyone is invited on it to support the boys!
• The success of our Ladies has fed down to our girls tag teams and they are having a very successful season winning their second tournament of the year a few weeks back.
• PAG has been busy organising and there is to be a Santa 7s on the 20th Dec from 6pm – we are running this in conjunction with our Return to Rugby scheme so if you know of a lapsed player then please let them know and hopefully we can encourage them back to playing for the club. There will be eight teams of mixed abilities, gender and ages and these teams will be sorted out on the night to ensure a level playing standard. It is also planned to have the BBQ going and to finish the night with a bout of Carol Singing at the club so even if you are not playing then why not come down and begin the Christmas period with a bang.
• Another PAG event is the annual Christmas BaBa’s fixture in memory of Alex Wallis and this has now been arranged for under the lights on Friday 29th December against Princethorpe Old Boys, kick off 7pm.
• Our recent Second XV win at Old Laurentian has seen us progress to the semi finals of that competition and we have been drawn away at Shipston. The other semi final is Berkswell & Balsall against Silhillians. The ties will be played on Sunday 28th Jan at the venue of the home drawn team. There is no news yet of the Warwickshire Shield.
• The Ladies have been drawn away at Wymondham in the next round of their cup on the 7th Jan. There is a coach going.
• There is a worrying decrease in the numbers attending the touch rugby sessions on a Wednesday night and the guys who run it have asked me to bring this to everyone’s attention in the hope that more can attend. The sessions are at the Training Pitch at the Cow Patch starting at 7pm.
• Our former captain Mike Bevan now resides in Dubai and his eldest son, Morgan, was in a team that won their age group (u17) in the recent Dubai Sevens. Morgan was awarded the player of the tournament and the real good news is they are returning ‘home’ next season! Younger son Dylan is not too bad either!
DO NOT FORGET THE AMAZON LINK ON OUR WEB SITE TO GAIN CASHBACK FOR THE CLUB!
UPANDCOMING EVENTS AT KRFC
8th Dec Wal Prescott Memorial Game at OC’s, 7pm
10th Dec Ladies v Olney, 2pm
13th Dec Ladies DS v De Montfort University, 7pm
16th Dec v Southam, 2.15 Xmas Lunch
20th Dec Santa 7s and Return to Rugby night, and Carol Singing!
24th Dec Club open from 6pm
29th Dec Barbarians v Princethorpe OB’s, 7pm
6th Jan v Malvern, Pirates Lunch, 2.15 ko
6th Jan Colts v Broadstreet, 2.15 ko
13th Jan Second XV v Old Laurentian, 2.15 ko
27th Jan Old Yardleians, 2.15 ko
27th Jan Colts v Rugby St Andrews, 2.15 ko
28th Jan Second XV away at Shipston, Shield ½ final, 2.15 ko
Note: we have both BT Sport and Sky Sports so all rugby that is available will be shown.