KENILWORTH RFC NEWS, 3rd NOV 2016
o 200 CLUB DRAW on 11th Nov with ½ price Prosecco and two draws
o Dean Richards Sporting Dinner on Dec 1st – raffle prizes sought
o Let me know if you are a Professor!
o Let Rod Jones know if you need to know the Cowpatch gate code
• Well the big support appeared last week and encouraged our lads to go the extra mile and that they did, winning 35-32 over Crewe & Nantwich. Our already depleted squad was further hit by three injuries sustained during the warm up and somehow Mick & Wayne summoned up three superb replacements at (very) short notice – including Nick Collett who was half way through his main course at the Pirates Dinner! Man of the match was hooker James Jackson (he also won the drink off with the C&N hooker!) but a big mention must go to Josh Hickman who succeeded with seven out of seven penalties and two out of two conversions. In all the drama and excitement we seemed to forget that C&N gained two bonus points but we still moved above them in the league and now sit in 13th spot. The report on the game is on the web site together with piccies and a highlights video on GlasshouseTV HERE
• The Ladies go from strength to strength and fielded two sides last weekend, winning 20-17 on Friday over Warwick Uni and defeating Aston OE’s 22-19 in the league on Sunday. The league table shows them in second but it takes some working out and we have been told that we are really top once all the bonus points have been sorted.
• Our Sunday Second XV Cup game at Silhillians was called off, by them (maybe they heard our front row was Simon Bladon & Dave Blackburn) and we now play Leamington in the 1/4r final on Sunday 11th Dec, hopefully with an open bar!
• This weekend we are away at Dudley Kingswinford and they are a team who appear to be suffering a lot of injuries at the moment (check out their web site). They play at Swindon Road, Wall Heath, Kingswinford, DY6 0AW and I am sure the guys would love to run out to a similar big support (bring your kit just in case!) Please remember it is a 2.15 kick off now. Last week DK lost 13-34 away at Hereford and they sit in 12th spot in the league with two wins from their eight games. You can follow the game on Twitter and hopefully the video highlights after.
• The Cavaliers are at home to Old Laurentian on Saturday, 2.15.
• The Ladies have got two squads out again this weekend, On Friday night the Development Squad are taking on Silhillians, away, (7pm) and on Sunday they have a cup game away at Mellish.
• Next week (12 Nov) the ones are having a welcome week off. The Ladies have a league game away at Longton on the Sunday. The Cavaliers have no game but may go into the pool for a fixture.
• You are hopefully aware that the club has had BTSport for the past year. This is the BTSport1 weekend package and gives us access to Premiership Rugby but not, unfortunately, European Rugby on BT Sport. The management committee are reviewing the cost benefit of having this extra channel and we have concluded that that it is a luxury as there has been no increase in attendance (and bar take) on a Friday night or a Sunday afternoon to justify the expense. However, before we terminate the BT contract we would like to gauge the thoughts of our members. The cost of the package we have now is ~£80 pm and the cost of the full package (to include European Cup rugby) is ~£140 pm. A number of members have expressed their willingness to contribute to this cost by a monthly S/O and if you are interested in doing this (say £10 per month) then please let me know, along with your thoughts of the club retaining it, or not. We will be retaining Sky.
• Another of our Sponsors is The Almanack. They have kindly agreed to reward members of Kenilworth RFC with a discount on any wine purchased. Details of this offer are on our web site, www.kenilworthrugby.co.uk and all you have to do is show them your Membership card.
• On 11th Nov there will be the first 200 Draw of the season and info on this is on the web site. There will be half price Prosecco between 6 and 7.30 and there will be two chances of winning £500. If you join the 200 club then there will also be a £10 bar voucher for you.
• By demand we now have a variety of Gins (14 to be precise!) in the club bar, together with some fancy mixers and glasses. Why not try one on your next visit!
• We now have the RFU Raffle tickets and these will soon be issued to all members. This is a superb source of income for the club and your participation in it would be most welcome.
• On 1st Dec we have a Sporting Dinner with Dean Richards and this is filling up fast. Full details are on the web site. There will be a raffle on the night and we are looking for prizes such as bottles of wine etc etc. Please leave these behind the bar for Roger Robert’s attention.
• Are you a Professor at a local university and a member of KRFC? – if you are can you please let me know and I will do a small article for the RFU and local press. It would appear we have a few!
• Simon Tyler has been in contact with me. He is currently living, working and playing rugby in Qatar and has advised me that Pat Jenkinson and Rob Bennett are also out there playing!
FORTHCOMING EVENTS @ KRFC
5th Nov Cavaliers v Old Laurentian 2’s, 2.15
11th Nov 200 Club Draw
19th Nov v Hereford, 2.15
26th Nov Cavaliers v Banbury, 2.15
1st Dec Dean Richards Sporting Dinner
4th Dec Ladies v Cov Welsh, 2pm
10th Dec Christmas Lunch (v Newport)
17th Dec Players Christmas Party