KENILWORTH RFC NEWS, 28th OCT 2016
o Big support requested for our boys tomorrow in their big game
o Ladies Dev Squad out tonight
o BT Sport decision time – keep it or not?
o RFU Raffle tickets are on their way
o Second XV in Cup on Sunday @ Silhillians
• A defeat in the league last week, 0-38 but how our boys fought in the second half, being unlucky not to score on more than one occasion and conceding a late try to narrowly lose the half. This leaves us at the foot of the table, two points adrift of Crewe & Nantwich and Whitchurch. The report on the game is on the web site together with piccies and Sophie has promised a highlights video on GlasshouseTV, soon. There was also a defeat for the Ladies Development squad, 17-37 at Birmingham CS.
• Last Friday (21st) the Pirates took on Old Coventrians Vets in the Wal Prescott Memorial game. An amazing crowd, ~400-500 turned up for a classic game of vets rugby, OC’s wining the trophy by 29-48.
• This weekend our first XV are at home to Crewe & Nantwich in a real ‘eight pointer’. C&N are just above us at the foot of the league and it is fair to say that a win is a must for both teams. It is still a 3pm kick off and I am sure the guys would like to run out to a big support. Prior to the game there is a Pirates Lunch and there are some spaces available if you fancy it. The programme for the game will be on the web site from 6 tonight.
• The Cavaliers are away at Silhillians on Sunday (30th) in the Warwickshire Second XV Cup, 2.15 kick off.
• The Ladies have got two squads out this weekend, a token of how successful they are. On Friday night a Development Squad are taking on Warwick University (7pm) and on Sunday they have a league game away at Aston Old Eds.
• Next week (5th Nov) the ones are away at Dudley K. The Ladies have a second round cup game at Melllish on the Sunday and the Cavaliers are at home on the Saturday against Old Laurentian.
• You are hopefully aware that the club has had BTSport for the past year. This is the BTSport1 weekend package and gives us access to Premiership Rugby but not, unfortunately, European Rugby on BT Sport. The management committee are reviewing the cost benefit of having this extra channel and we have concluded that that it is a luxury as there has been no increase in attendance (and bar take) on a Friday night or a Sunday afternoon to justify the expense. However, before we terminate the BT contract we would like to gauge the thoughts of our members. The cost of the package we have now is ~£80 pm and the cost of the full package (to include European Cup rugby) is ~£140 pm. A number of members have expressed their willingness to contribute to this cost by a monthly S/O and if you are interested in doing this (say £10 per month) then please let me know, along with your thoughts of the club retaining it, or not. We will be retaining Sky.
• Another of our Sponsors is The Almanack. They have kindly agreed to reward members of Kenilworth RFC with a discount on any wine purchased. Details of this offer are on our web site, www.kenilworthrugby.co.uk and all you have to do is show them your Membership card.
• The Halloween Night last night was a huge success and many thanks to the M&J section for putting it on.
• On 11th Nov there will be the first 200 Draw of the season and more info on this will be provided nearer the time. It is a Friday night and you could have a pint and glass of wine (or even a gin!) waiting to see if you have won up to £1000! Full details are on the web site.
• By demand we now have a variety of Gins (14 to be precise!) in the club bar, together with some fancy mixers and glasses. Why not try one on your next visit!
• We now have the RFU Raffle tickets and these will soon be issued to all members. This is a superb source of income for the club and your participation in it would be most welcome.
FORTHCOMING EVENTS @ KRFC
28th Oct Ladies Dev Squad v Warwick Uni, 7pm
29th Oct v Crewe & Nantwich, 3pm: Pirates Lunch
30th Oct Silhillians v Cavaliers, 2.15, War Cup, round 1
5th Nov Cavaliers v Old Laurentian 2’s
11th Nov 200 Club Draw
19th Nov v Hereford
26th Nov Cavaliers v Banbury
10th Dec Christmas Lunch (v Newport)
17th Dec Players Christmas Party