KENILWORTH RFC NEWS: 25th JAN 2018
Happy Burns Day!
Second XV in cup game on Sunday
Sad news re Mark Ashworth
Wasps takeover day on 18th Feb
Next 200 Club Draw
• I think the least said about last week’s defeat at Evesham the better – our under strength side went down heavily, 0-36, to really put a dent in our play off hopes. We are now eleven points adrift of second placed Malvern with one very large mountain to climb. The report on the game is on the web site. There was also bad news from the Colts who went down 0-43 away at Old Coventrians. The report on that game is also on the web site. Due to the many call ups to the ones the second XV did not play and neither did our Ladies. When was the last time both our sides got ‘nilled’?
• This weekend our Men’s first XV are at home to bottom club Old Yardleians and we hope, if not must, get back to winning ways. Before the game one of our biggest and longest sponsors, AJA Architects, are holding a lunch so there should be a very good atmosphere at the club, again. There will be regular tweets during the game. Our Colts are also at home against Rugby St Andrews.
• On Sunday our second XV are playing at Shipston in the semi final of the Warwickshire Second XV. Our unbeaten Ladies are also playing on Sunday in a league game away at Lutterworth.
• Our Ladies cup win at Wymondham has earned them a 1/4r final RFU cup tie at home to Barnsley on 25th Feb. Barnsley are top of their league, one level above us.
• On Sat 3rd March we are holding a St David’s Night Dinner and full details of this are now on the web site.
• The Six Nations will soon be upon us and all games will be shown at the club on our four big screens. If you applied for Twickenham tickets then there is an envelope behind the bar advising you of your allocation, if any, and how to claim your refund.
• On Sunday 18th Feb our M&J section are attending the Wasps v Exeter game and are acting as flag wavers, mascots etc for the day. There will be buses leaving the club and we ask that you book through the following link: http://krfc.eventbrite.com/ If you click on the link you and then select the Event (Wasps v Exeter) you will see some further information on the plan for the day.
This is also a reminder that if you plan to buy tickets for any home Wasps game then please use our specific code, KENRFC, for kick back to come to the club.
• It is sad to report that our ex prop, Mark Ashworth, lost his long fight with cancer and he died earlier this week. From our history and my research Mark joined Kenilworth in the late 80’s and played with our lower teams, including the Pirates. He appeared to make his first XV debut in the 90/91 season and Rusty Brayshaw recalls he played his last game for us in 1993 against Stratford, Rusty knowing this as it was also his last first XV game for Kenilworth. When he left Kenilworth he joined Shipston and worked tirelessly for them in a number of important roles, as well as continuing to play and coach in the M&J section.
• This is a request to anyone who might have received the odd gift that, though well intentioned, is perhaps unwanted for one reason or another. Last year our rugby club raised over £2500 (+) for UK based charities and we hope to better this in 2018. We are always on the look out for raffle and auction items to help in our charity fundraising. If you have anything that is non perishable that you would be happy to donate to the club then please let Peter Blakeman know.
UPANDCOMING EVENTS AT KRFC
27th Jan Old Yardleians, 2.15: AJA Lunch
27th Jan Colts v Rugby St Andrews, 2.15
28th Jan Second XV away at Shipston, Shield ½ final, 2.15
3rd Feb Second XV v Silhillians, 2.15
4th Feb Italy v England, 3pm
4th Feb Ladies v Wellingborough, 2.00
10th Feb England v Wales, 4.45
11th Feb Spartans - Warwickshire Shield ½ final, 2.15
16th Feb 200 Club Draw, 7pm
17th Feb v Barkers Butts, 2.15, Volunteers Lunch
18th Feb Wasps takeover day
24th Feb Second XV v Berkswell & Balsall, 2.15
24th Feb Scotland v England, 4.45
25th Feb Ladies v Barnsley, RFU Cup, 1/4r final, 2.00
3rd Mar St David’s Night
10th Mar v Droitwich, 3.00
10th Mar France v England, 4.45
17th Mar England v Ireland, 2.45