KENILWORTH RFC NEWS, 24th JAN 2014
• Another disappointing loss last week, 28-29 away at a 14 man Barkers (perhaps the sending off did us no favours). We remain in 6th in the league but now appear to have lost our chance of fighting for a play off spot. The report is on the web site.
• The Colts game was called off and the Cavaliers did not play. The 3's lost at home to Atherstone 2's, 12-17.
• This weekend the ones are at home to Berkswell & Balsall in a game sponsored by Baker Jayne (@bakerjane) and kicking off at 2.15. B&B are currently lying in 13th spot in the league with three wins from their seventeen games. The away game earlier in the season was an eventful affair which we managed to win 27-22. If you cannot make the game then there will be a Twitter feed @kenilworthrugby. The programme for the game is now on the web site.
• The team (at the moment) is Collett, Cresswell, Lowthian, Lane, Nicholson, Mills, Nancarrow, Thompson, Selby, Glover, Beckett, Sheehan, Tyler, Hickman, Kendall: subs: Gibson (M), Watts and Jepps.
• The Colts are away at Broadstreet and the Cavaliers are now away at Bournville 2's. The 3's game has been cancelled.
• Junior fixtures for 26th Jan:
U13s & U15's home to Market Bosworth (U13's on main pitch if suitable)
U14s and U16's away at Market Bosworth
The main Club will be open for hot drinks from 10.30am, bar from 11am and there will be post match food there.
• Next week the ones have a weekend off and their next league game is away at Burton on the 8th. The next home game is the 15th Feb v Hereford in a game sponsored by Pinnock Bell.
• It is RFU raffle time and we are again asking you to help support the club by selling the tickets which will be issued to all members within the next few days. The club receives 90% of what we raise in this raffle. This year the funds will all go to the Roof Appeal which is aimed at providing a badly needed new roof for the clubhouse as we have a particularly bad leak over one of the changing rooms. The materials will cost in the region £6000 and the work will be done by volunteers. We are fortunate that we will get 50% of this by way of a grant from the RFU so our target is £3000 and the club would greatly appreciate your help by selling these tickets. There are many really superb prizes on offer so it should be easy to sell these tickets. By way of a further incentive we have arranged for Sytner BMW of Coventry to give a top class BMW or Mini for the weekend and there will be a draw for this prize for those who return their tickets on time, Friday 21st February 2014 at the latest.
• Please note that Touch Rugby on a Wednesday night has had to be put on hold till further notice due to the state of the first XV pitch.
• KENILWORTH JAZZ: There is a new Jazz Club starting up at the club on a Monday night from 3rd February. On this night the Tom Green Select will play. Doors will open at 8pm (bar open from 6pm) and a charge of £6 will be made on the door. Other dates currently set are 3rd March, 12th May and 2nd June.
• WARWICKSHIRE SECOND XV CUP: We have been drawn away at Sutton Coldfield in the semi final of the 2nd XV Cup and this is to be played on Sunday 9th Feb. I am sure we will put out a strong and competitive side and the boys would really appreciate a big support in a very winnable game. The other semi is between Pinley and Broadstreet.
• Please remember the new KRFC Jumpers that are now available in a variety of sizes at a cost of £20. There is a list on the Notice Board where you can put your name. There is a minimum order of 25 so you may need to be patient, or encourage your mate to get one too!
• If you have applied for Six Nations home game tickets then you will get your tickets in the first two weeks of Feb. We are way oversubscribed for Ireland and have asked the RFU for extra tickets. Depending what we get it is hoped that each applicant will get 50% of what they asked for. The Wales game is slightly better.
• FORTHCOMING EVENTS
Mon 3rd Feb Jazz Night, Tom Green Select, 8pm
Sun 9th Feb Warwickshire 2nd xv cup semi final – Sutton Coldfield, away, 2.15
Sat 15th Feb v Hereford, sponsored by Pinnock Bell
Sat 22nd Mar v Malvern, Charity Lunch
Sat 5th Apr v Old Laurentian, Former Players Lunch