KENILWORTH RFC NEWS, 22nd SEPT 2016
Apologies for not sending out my regular news over the last few weeks, a holiday got in the way!
• The last two weeks have seen the first XV suffer two more defeats to Stratford and Sutton Coldfield and we are now lying, after three games, at the foot of the table with only two bonus points to show for our efforts. The web site is now up to date with reports of both games now on the site. There is better news from the Ladies who had their first league win last week at home to Winnington Park, 29-12 after an opening day defeat at Coalville. Our second XV (Cavaliers have lost at Stratford but last week they had a big 82-10 win over Old Yardleians.
• This Saturday (24th) we are at home to Whitchurch who have won two of their three opening games defeating Hereford and Crewe at home but losing to Dudley K away. The programme for the game will be up on the web site from Friday night and Sophie will be tweeting during the game @kenilworthrugby. This is also the first of the Former Players Lunches commencing at 1pm. Our Cavaliers are away at Birmingham Exiles.
• On Friday night our Ladies have a (non league) fixture at Silhillians kicking off at 7pm.
• At the club on Friday night we have a special guest, thanks to our U9’s. Martin Johnson will be giving a coaching session to the U9’s between 5 and 7 and hopefully the great man will hang around later for a pint and a chat in the bar. I have had a few problems with my tomatoes this year so hope he can help!
• Next weekend the ones are away at Wolverhampton in a league game whilst the Cavaliers will be at home to Barkers Butts. On Sunday our Ladies travel to Cannock for a league game.
• On Sat 2nd Oct there is a further Ladies Day and full information is on the web site (www.kenilworthrugby.co.uk) There are still some spaces available.
• Applications for tickets for the 2017 Six Nations games at Twickenham are closing at the end of this month so get your applications in - full details are on the web site, www.kenilworthrugby.co.uk
• Can I also remind you that if you are a member of Kenilworth RFC and you have purchased a season ticket for Wasps then please let us know as they have offered us cash back on the cost of your ticket. This also applies to individual game tickets when bought though our web site on the link on the home page.
• Please remember the club now has BT Sport at the weekends and this includes Premiership Rugby on Friday nights and Saturday and Sunday afternoons. This is in addition to Sky Sports which hosts the Pro 12 and the French Top 14. Sky will also be the platform for the up and coming Ryder Cup as well as the Autumn Internationals at Twickenham.
• Another of our Sponsors is The Almanack. They have kindly agreed to reward members of Kenilworth RFC with a discount on any food purchased. Details of this offer are on our web site, www.kenilworthrugby.co.uk and all you have to do is show them your Membership card.
• You will be glad to here that we have purchased our 8 sets of Mobile Lights and these will come into use soon. There will be a strict usage policy in place and this will be issued in due course.
• On Wed 26th Oct there is a Rugby Awareness Seminar at Broadstreet and this is open to everyone. Full details are on the home page of the web site.
• Sophie Freestone has created a Youtube Channel for us: GlasshouseTV (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWPhTUiAeOnrtt90SqG1v4w). This will soon be linked to our Facebook pages and the web site! Exciting times.
• On 11th Nov there will be the first 200 Draw of the season and more info on this will be provided nearer the time. It is a Friday night and you could have a pint and glass of wine waiting to see if you have won anything!
• It is with some regret that the club announces the death of former players David Fish and Alan Cormack and no doubt they will be remembered, along with Wal, at the FP lunch on Saturday. On Friday 21st Oct there will be a game between our Pirates and Old Coventrians Vets in memory of Wal.
• Advanced warning: Burns Night: 27th Jan and St David’s Dinner 24th Feb!
FORTHCOMING EVENTS @ KRFC
23rd Sept Martin Johnson at club, from 5pm
24th Sept v Whitchurch, 3pm, Former Players Lunch
30th Sept Ryder Cup begins (Sky)
1st Oct Cavaliers v Barkers Butts, 3pm, Ladies Lunch
1st Oct Colts v Old Leamingtonians, 3pm
8th Oct v Bournville
16th Oct v Nuneaton, cup semi final, 2.15
16th Oct Ladies v Dudley Kingswinford, 2pm
21st Oct Pirates v Old Coventrians, 7pm, in memory of Wal Prescott
22nd Oct Colts v Broadstreet, 3pm
29th Oct v Crewe & Nantwich, 3pm
11th Nov 200 Club Draw
10th Dec Christmas Lunch (v Newport)
17th Dec Players Christmas Party
Note: Premiership Rugby (BT Sport) and Pro12 rugby (Sky) will be shown at weekends - Friday nights, Saturday and Sunday afternoons.