KENILWORTH WEEKLY NEWS, 22nd JAN 2016
• What a game last week with Stratford. I was listening in on Twitter in Carvoeiro and that was bad enough so it must have been a bit special and nerve racking watching it live. Well done Josh Hickman for having the bottle to slot the injury time penalty for the win, 22-20, truly superb, and I just had to open another bottle of red! Sophie’s superb report on how the game unfolded is on the web site. We are now up to 6th in the league, four points off the leaders Bridgnorth. I am told Johnny took some piccies but I do not know what he has done with them! There were also great wins for the Colts (35-0) over Stratford, to go second in their league and for the Cavaliers, 31-12 at Spartans, also to go second in their league with a game in hand. We might even be top if they can sort out all of our wins.
• This week the ones are away at Walsall who are currently at the foot of the league with only one win to date. However their most recent displays and results suggests that they may be returning to something like their best and we must not go there thinking it will be an easy win. It never is there and we will have to fight for everything. Last week Walsall played at Hereford and, rather bizarrely, the referee abandoned the game early in the second half, not for the conditions (which were bad) but after an almighty fight between the two sets of forwards. Prior to this in their last home league game they ran the high flying Dudley K very close, losing 22-29. We must be careful!
• Other games this weekend include the Colts away at Earlsdon and the Cavaliers at home to Berkswell & Balsall. At the time of writing the Pirates were trying to organise a game. Our Ladies opponents on Sunday Handsworth have called off and they have a re-arranged fixture away at Coventry Welsh, 2pm.
• Next week the ones are at home against Whitchurch. This is a game sponsored by AJA Architects. The Colts are also at home against Banbury with the Cavaliers away at Rugby St Andrews. The 3’s are in the pool.
• At the club over the weekend there is lots of TV rugby with the Champions Cup rugby being shown on BT Sport and Sky.
• The Burns Supper is on tonight and is a near sell out. The St David’s Night on the 11th March is also close to a sell out but there are still a few places if you fancy it. Full info on the St David’s Night is on the web site.
• In two weeks time (6th Feb) the Six Nations starts and all games will be shown at the club on our HD screens.
• A note for your diary is the next Former Players Lunch, 5th March v Crewe & Nantwich.
SUMMARY OF EVENTS @ KRFC
Fri 22nd Jan Burns Night
Sat 23rd Jan Cavaliers v Berkswell & Balsall
Sat 30th Jan v Whitchurch, AJA Architects sponsored lunch
Sat 6th Feb Six Nations: France v Italy, 2.25, Scotland v England, 4.50
Sun 7th Feb Ireland v Wales, 3.00
Sat 20th Feb v Bridgnorth
Thurs 3rd Mar A Night with John Inverdale
Sat 5th Mar v Crewe & Nantwich, Former Players Lunch
Fri 11th Mar St David’s Night
19th/21st Mar Pirates Tour
2nd Apr v Hereford
23/24th Apr M&J Festival
All of the Six Nations games will be shown at club