KRFC NEWS, 21st MARCH 2014
News of our U14's
• The only game played last week was the Colts away at Newbold and, unfortunately, they lost 12-28.
• This weekend the ones are at home to Malvern. Malvern are currently fighting against relegation and are 12th (of 14) with six wins and a draw. Believe it or not but we could still be caught up in a relegation struggle but a bonus point win on Saturday will see us safe – who said there is nothing for us to play for!. Ralph is now back from the USA so Normal Tweeting and reporting should be restored. The programme for the game will also be up on the web site on Friday.
• Please note that the Charity Lunch proposed for the Malvern game will not now take place and in its place will be a smaller lunch @ £8 per head. Contact Peter Blakeman if you wish to attend.
• The Colts are having a weekend off as are the 3's who have cancelled their game with Old Wheatleyans. The Cavaliers are at home to Old Laurentian.
• Junior fixtures for 23rd March are:
U13s/U14s home to Earlsdon: U14's on main pitch
U15s - training
U16s away to Earlsdon
The main Club will be open for hot drinks from 10.30am, bar from 11am and there will be post match food there.
• Next weekend the ones are away at Market Bosworth, our first ever visit there. They play at Cadeby Lane, Market Bosworth, CV13 0BA. New ground so no recommended pubs! The following week, 5th April, we have our last home league game against Old Laurentian and this is the day of our Former Players Lunch. The season concludes at Silhillians on the 12th April.
• Attracting 16 visiting clubs from across Coventry, Warwickshire and beyond, the festival will bring 100's of families to the Kenilworth Club over the two days. Trophies will be presented to both Mini and Junior teams providing a great opportunity to profile your company across the weekend. If your company is interested in sponsoring any of the trophies, please contact Emma Tombs to discuss options and opportunities available.
• The second Jazz Night of the season took place at the start of March and was another sell out! The next one is scheduled for 7th April. More info is @ www.kenilworthjazzclub.co.uk
• This years Club Dinner will be held on Friday 9th May. Further details will be announced soon.
• The popular Dave Hunt has won the Sytner BMW or Mini for the weekend. Steve Abbots has also won the auction for all four prizes kindly donated by Baker Jayne Insurance Brokers.
• KRFC U14's run riot it Stratford tournament!
Kenilworth U14's did themselves proud at the inaugural Stratford Seven's tournament on Sunday. Twelve strong teams competed admirably in this lung bursting format, new to most boys of this age.
Kenilworth's first game against Barker Butts was a good match up until the latter half of the game when Kenilworth's Lester and Powell found gaps in the tiring Butts defence. The game ended four tries to nil.
Kenilworth grew in confidence and won the two remaining group games against Stratford 'B' and Alcester by some margin to book their place in the semi-finals. Stickley, Aldridge, Cockerill, Chant, Stocks, Haughton and Weetman all scored tries.
A step up in standard and commitment was required to beat Nuneaton in the semi-final and Kenilworth delivered just that to win comfortably 6 tries to nil.
The final was against a very strong and well drilled Stratford 'A' side and a partisan home crowd.
Stratford, rightfully in the final, played a full part in the match but were undone by Kenilworth's higher quality attack and stubborn defence. Kenilworth's determination won the day with a 5 try to 1 victory.
• FORTHCOMING EVENTS
Sat 29th Mar Pirates v Shipston Vets, 3pm on main pitch
Sat 5th Apr v Old Laurentian, Former Players Lunch, 3pm
Mon 7th Apr Jazz Night
11th to 13th April Pirates Tour to Teignmouth
26th/27th April M&J Festival
9th May CLUB DINNER