KENILWORTH WEEKLY NEWS, 20th NOV 2015
Ladies in Cup on Sunday, 2pm!
• Another loss to report, our fourth on the bounce. It was 10-16 against Burton and after we went behind early on we recovered well to lead 10-8 only to quickly lose a penalty then a late try. Try as we did we could not get it back at the death. Of our four defeats we have gained three losing bonus points which point out how close the defeats were and hopefully our luck will soon change, we have the talent both on and off the pitch! Sophie’s excellent report is on the web site and if you want to see some piccies there are some on Burton’s web site.
• Mixed fortunes for our other teams. The Colts game with Berkswell & Balsall was called off (by them) late on and our Cavaliers lost their top spot in the league going down to Pinley 2’s, a team they thrashed a few weeks back!. Our Ladies took on a late game at Dudley K Vixens and again came out on top, 38-5. A report on this game is on the web site and it is always interesting to note how many mentions there are of ‘first ever game’ for a number of their players.
• This week the ones are back on the road and visit Crewe & Nantwich who are currently lying 11th in the league with three wins, one draw and five losses. Last week they lost away at Hereford, 3-10. Sophie will be tweeting and reporting as she has done the last two weeks. I have no news of the team yet.
• Our Colts are at home in a re-arranged fixture with Barkers Butts. Our 2’s and 3’s have combined to take on Old Laurentians, also at home.
• Arguably the big game of the weekend are the Ladies v Rugby Lionesses in the Cup on Sunday, ko 2pm, on the main pitch. If you have not yet caught them then this is an ideal opportunity so come along and give them a big shout. The bar will be open from noon.
• Next week (28th Nov) the ones are at home to Dudley Kingswinford. The Colts are away at Old Leamingtonians, the Cavaliers away at Leamington and the Pirates are at home to Silhillians.
• There are still people who have not yet registered as players & members of Kenilworth Rugby and we ask that you do this as a matter of urgency. The link to the form is on the RHS of the home page of the web site. Even if you are a Life Member we ask you to complete the form.
• At the club over the weekend there is lots of TV rugby with the Champions Cup starting up and being shown on BT Sport and Sky.
• Some more dates for your diary are 22nd Jan for a Burns Night and a St David’s Night on 11th March. Last year’s Burns Night was a great success and if you fancy going then contact me. Another note for your Diary is 11th Feb when we are planning a Sporting Dinner with John Inverdale as the main speaker. More details and confirmation to follow.
• If you have applied for Six Nations tickets please be advised that you will not be told of your allocation, if any, until I hear from the RFU about the extra tickets I have requested. We are 3 times oversubscribed for both games and the allocation of tickets is going to be a nightmare and will depend on the extra ones received from the RFU.
• The winner of our RWC competition was a Will Power with yours truly (Willie W) in second place and Dan Preece (a work mate of Peter Lindsay) in third. Oh dear, I guess I would have won it but for Mr Joubert as not many would have predicted a Scotland v New Zealand final! If you buy me a beer I will tell you who ‘Will Power’ really is!
• You will note the current state of our pitches, ie very wet and the loss of a few games and training sessions. Please be assured there is an awful lot of work being done to finally sort out our training pitch and if you wish to know about this and our pitches policy in general then please contact me and we will answer your queries. Please note we are not alone and there are many tweets from other clubs, both local to us and far away, of similar sessions being cancelled.
• SUMMARY OF EVENTS @ KRFC
Sat 21st Nov Colts v Barkers, 2/3’s v Old Laurentians, 2.15
Sun 22nd Nov Ladies v Rugby Lionesses, cup, 2pm
Sat 28th Nov v Dudley K, 2.15, Pirates v Silihillians Vets
Wed 2nd Dec Kenilworth XV v Warwick Medics, 7pm
Sat 5th Dec Christmas Dinner/Disco
Sat 12th Dec v Worcester Wanderers
Sat 19th Dec v Silhillians, Christmas Lunch
Mon 28th Dec Barbarians v Warwick School Old Boys, 2pm
Fri 22nd Jan Burns Night
Fri 11th Feb A Night with John Inverdale, tbc
Fri 11th March St David’s Night