KENILWORTH RFC NEWS: 1st MARCH 2018
Our Ladies march on
Second XV in 2nd XV Shield final this Sunday, 3pm at Rugby Lions
Ladies could clinch their league this Sunday v Olney at home, 2pm
Help needed with coaching Ladies
Jim Hamilton Dinner on 22nd March and Ladies Lunch on 24th March
Vote for Jacob Umaga
Superb Eng v BaBa’s ticket offer
• Disappointment for our Men in their Shield Final but glory for our Ladies as they march on to the semi finals of the RFU Intermediate Cup.
• Our Ladies came back from being 7-19 down to score three dramatic second half tries to lead 26-19 going into injury time only for Barnsley to score, but miss the conversion – a superb 26-24 win over a team riding high in the league above us (and who were also undefeated for three years). Their opponents will be either Bury St Edmonds, Supermarine or Plymouth – all playing at a higher level.
• Our Men almost did it in the Shield final and were leading 10-0 at the break only for Earlsdon to come slowly back into the game in the second half, courtesy of a penalty and two unconverted tries, the last late on, to lose 10-13.
• Our Colts (missing around seven regulars) exited the Warwickshire Cup at Old Leamingtonians, 3-31 whilst our Pirates had a pre tour run out losing 7-76 to Stratford.
• This weekend, weather permitting of course, there are two big games with the Ladies taking on Olney on Sunday (2pm) in a game where a win could clinch the league. Our Second XV are in the final of the 2nd XV Warwickshire Shield and take on Berkswell & Balsall at Rugby Lions with a 3pm kick off. Our Men’s first XV travel to Berkswell & Balsall on Saturday for a league game and this is a 3pm kick off. Our Colts are at Lutterworth.
• The success of our Ladies is putting a lot of pressure on coach Tim Burden and he is looking for some assistance – if anyone out there is interested in assisting him then please contact me and I will put your name and details to Tim.
• Our next Sporting Dinner is a big one with Scottish Legend Jim Hamilton. It is to be held on 22nd March and full details are on the web site.
• Our ex Colt Jacob Umaga, now at Wasps has been nominated Breakthrough player award for the Anglo Welsh Cup. He said if he wins he will nominate Kenilworth for the £1000 training kit from Gilbert. Vote for him at https://www.premiershiprugby.com/anglo-welsh/anglo-welsh-breakthrough-player-award-voting-open/
• Attention all Golfers – the Spurgeon Cup is making a comeback – 1st June at Kenilworth Golf Club. Further details will soon be posted on the web site and the club noticeboards.
• England v Barbarians – 27th May - the RFU are doing a deal for this game with tickets at £10 for juniors and £15 for adults. If anyone wants a ticket(s) then please contact me and I will arrange it, or provide you with a link if a large group is involved.
• Earlier in the season a group of our players assisted, along with Wooden Spoon and Fusion Community Initiatives, a DIY SOS at Calthorpe Academy. You can read all about this on the home page of our web site: www.kenilworthrugby.co.uk
UPANDCOMING EVENTS AT KRFC
3rd Mar St David’s Night – sold out
4th Mar Second XV Shield final v Berkswell & Balsall, 2.15
4th Mar Ladies v Olney, 2.00
10th Mar v Droitwich, 3.00, Former Players Lunch
10th Mar France v England, 4.45
11th Mar Ladies v Rugby Lionesses, 2.00
16th Mar Pirates Tour
17th Mar England v Ireland, 2.45
22nd Mar Jim Hamilton Dinner
24th Mar Ladies Lunch
7th April v Evesham, 3.00 Last home league game
1st June Spurgeon Cup at Kenilworth Golf Club