New coaching set up formally announced
Club is open on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!
• The ones ran up against a very good Newport last week and did well up until half-time (at 8-18) but came second best in the second half to lose the game 16-58. We did score the last try however. Other results meant we have dropped to 5th in the league but only three points off third spot. The report is on the web site, as are the piccies. The only other game played was the Colts who had a superb 29-0 win over Leamington.
• The ones are back on the road tomorrow at fourth placed Stoke. If you cannot make the game then follow it on Twitter @kenilworthrugby or through the web site twitter feed. The Colts are at Luctonians in the National Plate but this fixture is in doubt due to their big injury list, notably front rows. There are no 2's or 3's out.
• Change in Coaching arrangements
As from the beginning of January Johnny Cresswell will step up from his current role of Forwards coach and assume the responsibility of Head (Player) Coach at Kenilworth Rugby Club. Johnny will be assisted by Marco Stanojevic who will continue his responsibility as Backs Coach. Current Head Coach, Rich Gibson, is standing down as a consequence of his increasing commitment to his and his son Jack's new business venture in Kenilworth (Fitness WorX) which is proving to be a considerable 'early success'.
Also in January, Rich will assume a new role of Director of Rugby responsible for coordinating all aspects of Rugby throughout all the age ranges, from Mini, Juniors, Colts through to Seniors. With Johnny and Marco being 'player / coaches' there will no doubt a number of occasions when Rich will assist in match day delivery and be seen in the technical area.
It should be said that much has been achieved both on and off the pitch by Rich since the summer of 2011 when Rich 'put his hand up' and offered to take responsibility for the 1st XV culminating in the creation of tremendous / never say die spirit of players (many of whom came through M&J and Colts), Champions in 12/13 and the extremely competent, exciting, combative and competitive side that we have today. Well done Rich.....
Good luck to Johnny in his new role and please make sure you all do your bit to support him and the lads.
• The next league game for the ones is on 3rd Jan when we are at home to Stratford.
• Please note the club will be open on Christmas Eve (6 till 11), Christmas Day (1 till 3) and Boxing Day (noon till 6). The full opening hours during the Festive Period are now on the web site. There is a Barbarians game on the 27th.
• Unpaid Subscriptions: There are quite a number of 'members' – including players who have not yet paid their club subscription for the season and we wish to advise that anyone who has not paid their subs by 31st December 2014 will not be allowed to play for the club, use the bar or any of our facilities and their membership card will be excluded from the drink discount system. If anyone is particularly struggling financially to pay their subs please talk to Peter Blakeman or Bruce Doe and we will do what we can to help.
• The semi final draw for the Warwickshire Cup has paired us with Berkswell & Balsall with the other semi final being Nuneaton and Sutton Coldfield. These games are down to be played on 25th Jan at neutral venues and we are to play at Old Leamingtonians.
• The Club have now launched our 'DO 90' campaign and full details have been issued and are now on the web site. The planned events are included in the Events section.
• You may recall the photo session we had at Kenilworth Castle. If you wish a copy of the main group photo, or an individual team photo then please contact me and I will arrange for it to be sent to you.
• Early in the new year it will be RFU Raffle time and you will all be sent books of tickets to sell with some superb prizes. The person who sells the most books will be guaranteed access to four tickets for the 2016 Six Nations games.
• We have been asked by the RFU if we would circulate a Ticket Survey to our members and this is available at
• We have also attended a forum organized by Wasps Rugby and they have advised that they have special offers for their opening four games at the Ricoh. The deal is 10x£20 tickets for the price of 8 and the link is www.wasps.co.uk/fixtures-results. The games are:
Sunday 21st December v London Irish
Sunday 4th January v Sale Sharks
Sunday 25th January v Leinster – European Cup
Sunday 1st February v Cardiff Blues - LV Cup
• The Barbarians are offering a 2 for one ticket offer for their game v Argentina game at Twickenham on 21st Nov 2016. Special discounted 2 for 1 early bird adult tickets are available, for a limited period only, from £30 for adults (for two tickets) and £15 for juniors (U16) at www.ticketmaster.co.uk 0844 847 2492. (Booking fees apply). Please do not apply to me for these but direct to Ticketmaster.
• UP & COMING EVENTS @ KRFC
27th Dec Barbarians v Warwick School Old Boys, 1pm
3rd Jan v Stratford
10th Jan Colts v Camp Hill
17th Jan v Whitchurch, LADIES LUNCH
23rd Jan BURNS SUPPER
25th Jan Warwickshire Cup Semi Final
7th Feb v Berkswell & Balsall, FORMER PLAYERS & 90th LUNCH
28th Feb v Earlsdon
6th Mar Sporting Celebrity Dinner
21st Mar v Worcester Wanderers
28th Mar v Leek
17th Apr Speed Networking Breakfast – Kenilworth Chamber of Trade, 8am
25/26th Apr M&J FESTIVAL
25th Apr 90th ANNIVERSARY MATCH & BBQ