KENILWORTH RFC NEWS: 16th NOV 2017
Ladies Double header on Sunday
Places available at Christmas Lunch
News of Warwickshire Shield
Ladies DS need a coach
BBC2 Sat night @ 9pm – we are on it!
• Another superb win for our first XV last weekend, 43-18 over Berkswell & Balsall, scoring seven tries. Superb news then filtered though from Malvern – they had been beaten at home by Silhillians with an injury time conversion. However Droitwich squeezed a one point win at Evesham and they went top, three points ahead of Malvern and ourselves. Things got even better when our second XV returned from their cup game at Old Laurentian – they won 62-7! The report on the B&B game is on the web site together with the piccies. The Ladies opposition Bridgnorth cried off and we have been awarded the points to remain top of the league.
• Our M&J Chairman Kerry would like to thanks everyone at the club last Sunday, particularly the kids, for honouring the two minute silence at 11am. You will also note that the club collected £201 from gate receipts for the B&B game and this has been donated to the British Legion.
• This week the first XV have a week off. Our Colts are playing Earlsdon at home. Our Second XV were also down to play Newbold at home but they have cried off the fixture and we are in the pool for a home fixture.
• The Ladies have a big day on Sunday with two games. Weather permitting and on the main pitch at 12.30 the Development Squad are taking on an Oxford University side and at 2.30 the top team are taking on Five Ways Old Eds in the cup – the team that are only two points behind us in the league. There are not many Ladies sections can get two teams out simultaneously and this is a truly tremendous achievement.
• Next weekend (25th) the first XV have a big, big game, away at leaders Droitwich and it would be great if they could run out to a big support – they play at The Glyn Mitchell Memorial Ground, Hanbury Road, Droitwich, WR9 7DU. Our second XV are at home against Stratford and our Colts are away at Old Leamingtonians. The Ladies are at home again on the Sunday in the league against Towcestrians.
• In conjunction with our main sponsor, Andrew Whiting, we are organising an electronic club Christmas card which is to be designed by an M&J member. The request for a design has now been issued (for submission by the 19th Nov) with the selection taking place on 24th Nov. The winner will receive a £50 voucher for the club shop. Full info is on the web site.
• There are still logs to be had at the Cowpatch and full details of how to gather them were in a previous Newsletter. In the next week or so it is planned to organise a work party(ies) to do a clear up prior to the planting of the new trees. Watch this space for info.
• PAG has been busy organising and there is to be a Santa 7s on the 20th Dec from 6pm – we are running this in conjunction with our Return to Rugby scheme so if you know of a lapsed player then please let them know and hopefully we can encourage them back to playing for the club. There will be eight teams of mixed abilities, gender and ages and these teams will be sorted out on the night to ensure a level playing standard. It is also planned to have the BBQ going and to finish the night with a bout of Carol Singing at the club so even if you are not playing then why not come down and begin the Christmas period with a bang.
• We thank John at Emmerson Press for agreeing to print our Return to Rugby invitational postcard, collate the 500+ addresses and frank and post them to – a truly wonderful gesture.
• Another PAG event is the annual Christmas BaBa’s fixture in memory of Alex Wallis and this has now been arranged for under the lights on Friday 29th December against Princethorpe Old Boys, kick off 7pm.
• Our Warwickshire Shield opponents Dunlop have withdrawn from the competition so we now progress to the semi finals (down to be played on or before the 10th Feb). Our Second XV win at Old Laurentian has seen us progress to the semi finals of that competition and from I can see our opponents will come from Berkswell & Balsall (who beat Leamington), Silhillians (who beat Southam) and Shipston (who beat Barkers)
• ………………..and finally you will recall our appeal for extras to come down to the club to assist in the filming of a BBC Documentary. Well this is about to hit the screen and you can see it on BBC2 on Saturday night at 9pm – titled “My Country – A Work in Progress” – catch the trailer HERE Stars of the show are Mike James, Pag Jones, Nick Moore, Chombie and a few others!
UPANDCOMING EVENTS AT KRFC
18th Nov Colts v Earlsdon, 2.15
18th Nov 2nd XV v pool game, 2.15
18th Nov England v Australia on TV, 2.30
19th Nov Ladies DS v Oxford, 12.30
19th Nov Ladies v Five Ways, cup, 2.30
25th Nov 2nd XV v Stratford, 2.15
25th Nov England v Samoa on TV, 2.30
2nd Dec Earlsdon, 2.15
2nd Dec Colts v Barkers Butts, 2.15
16th Dec Southam, 2.15 Xmas Lunch
16th Dec Christmas Party - fancy dress
17th Dec M&J training with Santa
20th Dec Santa 7s and Return to Rugby night, and Carol Singing!
29th Dec Barbarians v Princethorpe OB’s, 7pm
Note: we have both BT Sport and Sky Sports so all rugby that is available will be shown. The Autumn Internationals will all be shown.