KENILWORTH RFC NEWS: 16th MARCH 2018
Ladies Lunch on 24th is OFF
Ones at B&B and two’s in Second XV Shield final on Sunday.
Colts on main pitch at 1pm
• Last week was a disappointing one with our men’s first XV going down heavily at home to leaders Droitwich, 5-45. We were missing a few and had some players playing in strange positions and Bruce has said it all in his tweets and report. Our Colts had a last minute change of fixture with Leamington crying off late in the week. They travelled to Broadstreet and had a superb 35-10 win. Our Ladies game with Rugby Lionesses was called off by them and this is a shame as a win would have secured the league title. However, not to be out done, they did win the league when their nearest rivals, Five Ways Old Eds lost. It was a bit of an anticlimax though!
• This weekend, our men’s first XV are away at Berkswell & Balsall in a re-arranged league game. On Sunday our second XV are playing in the final of the Second XV Shield and this is at Earlsdon with a 2.30 kick off. Our Pirates are on Tour and are up at Birkenhead, or thereabouts, and have a game on Saturday. Our Colts are now at home on Saturday against Long Buckby with a 1pm kick off. On Sunday our Ladies travel to Five Ways Old Eds in a league game. The bar will be open from noon and will hopefully celebrate the Ladies league win and win (hopefully), lose or draw the Second XV cup run. Our Pirates will also be returning from tour and will no doubt wish to top up their alcohol levels after a quiet weekend.
• Next Saturday (24th) the men are down to play a league game at Earlsdon. On Sunday it is the big one with our Ladies playing Bury St Edmonds at home in the RFU Cup semi final. This is going to be one of the biggest days in Kenilworth’s history so do not miss it!! We are expecting a very big crowd for this game so if you can walk to it that would be good.
• The Sporting Dinner with Jim Hamilton on the 22nd March has been cancelled due to a lack of take up of tickets.
• The Ladies Lunch on the 24th March is also off, for a variety of reasons.
• Attention all Golfers – the Spurgeon Cup is making a comeback – 1st June at Kenilworth Golf Club. Further details will soon be posted on the web site and the club noticeboards.
• England v Barbarians – 27th May - the RFU are doing a deal for this game with tickets at £10 for juniors and £15 for adults. If anyone wants a ticket(s) then please contact me and I will arrange it, or provide you with a link if a large group is involved.
• It is Worthies voting time again and we ask you to register your vote for one of our entrants (Ladies and M&J Section) by the end of this month at http://kenilworthchamber.co.uk/the-worthies/
• Kenilworth School U15’s, coached by our own Ted Hunter, reached the final of the National Schools Vase and this was played at Twickenham last week. Unfortunately the boys lost but they put up a superb performance. Better news of Warwick School U18’s, they won their cup.
• Our U15’s are in the U15 Warwickshire Cup final on 14 April. The kick off is 12.30 at Earlsdon RFC and it would be great to have a large and vocal Kenilworth support. We will either play Silhillians or Sutton Coldfield who play their semi in 18 March.
• Taff Phillips is running in the London Marathon again, his 18th consecutive one, for the Brain & Spine Foundation Charity – you can check it out at https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Team/phillipsvlm2018 This will be Taff’s 492nd marathon and to mark this Taff and his wife have been invited to a Garden Party at the Palace in May. Well done Taff!
• On Easter Saturday (31st) our Barbarians are playing Princethorpe Old Boys with a 2pm kick off. The bar will open from noon.
UPANDCOMING EVENTS AT KRFC
17th Mar Colts v Long Buckby, 1pm
17th Mar England v Ireland, 2.45
18th Mar Second XV Shield final at Earlsdon, 2.30
25th Mar Ladies v Bury St Edmonds, Int Cup ½ final
31st Mar Barbarians v Princethorpe OB’s, 2pm
7th April v Evesham, 3.00 Last home league game
14th April U15’s Cup Final at Earlsdon, 12.30
4th May Club Dinner, tbc
1st June Spurgeon Cup (Golf Day)