KENILWORTH RFC NEWS: 15th Sept
• The league season started very well last week with a superb bonus point win, 22-0, over local rivals Leamington. There were tries for Kurt Morgan, Ed Hannam, Mikkel Andresen and Bobby Thompson and a full report for the game is on our web site, together with the pics. The programme for the day included news on all our new signings and this can be viewed on our web site. Our second XV also had a superb 31-22 win over Leamington 2’s after being 0-22 down at half-time. Our try scorers were Andy Hall, Ryan Spriggs, Jonny Openshaw and Kalum Goodfellow (2). It was also a night of presentations at the club with Mikkel receiving a Denmark shirt (adapted for Kenilworth) to mark his two caps and Gaz Renowden a special plaque to mark his 100 tries for the club. It was a superb day at the club with Andy Honess (and Dan Minks) jumping on the piano for a good sing song. Must have been a good night as bar-take was £4300!
• Our ladies continued the good work on Sunday with a 15-12 win over Five Ways OE’s in their new (higher) league. Try scorers were Beth Woodward and Sophie Henry with front row forward Rebecca Lewis successful with a conversion and a penalty. Sophie’s report on the game is on the web site.
• Sophie interviewed Chris Whitehead and Becky Lane after these wins and you can wee the interviews on GlasshouseTV – details on web site.
• This weekend the men take on Olney at home in the first round of the RFU Intermediate Cup – this is the cup that Silhillians reached the final of last season, going down to West Leeds. It is played on a regional basis with the four regional winners playing in semi finals for the right to play the final at Twickenham. I have researched our history and established that Olney were a regular fixture between the 29/30 and 48/49 seasons, producing regular wins for our boys! Currently Olney reside in Mids 2 east south and last season they finished second to our old friends Peterborough before losing in the play offs. In their first league game last week they lost 24-31 at Market Bosworth.
• Our team for tomorrow is: Dan Roberts, Jimmy Scott, Dan Minks, Sam Went, Will Johnson, Bobby Thompson, Ollie Burman, Mikkel Andresen, Cory Joy, Gareth Renowden, Ed Hannam, Tommy Jones, Simon Tyler, Kurt Morgan, Ollie Sharples: Subs Raj Bahey, Chris Pemble & Rhys Jones
• Our second XV have a pool fixture at Harbury and our Ladies are putting out a Development Squad at Silhillians. This weekend also sees the return of our Colts who are down to play Rugby Lions at home.
• The club have put together a poster with all the Mens and Ladies first XV home first XV fixtures on it. If you wish one for your office or local pub or shop then please feel free to print one off or contact me.
• Wasps have now changed the way we receive kickback from them when purchasing tickets through our web site. They have moved away from using unique URL’s, to Club-specific codes. They feel these codes will (especially in the long-term) be easier to use and much easier for the club to promote and distribute to encourage more people to use your code and earn more money back for your club. This code should be entered at the checkout stage on the Wasps ticketing site. Our code is: KENRFC.
• Please note that for a trial period Paul will be doing simple bar food from behind the bar.
• 20 Sept – this is the day when Warwick DC will (hopefully) announce the adoption of the Local Plan – final confirmation our sites are coming out for development. Look out for confirmation in the press.
• Membership fees are now due and you will, or have been, sent a reminder through the RFU GMS system. This system is explained on our web site: http://www.kenilworthrugby.co.uk/membership.html The system requires input from yourself and if you have not already done this please do!
• Please note there is to be another thinning of the trees that surround our Rocky Lane site and full info on this has been posted at the top of Rocky Lane. This is to commence on the 18th Sept.
• It is congratulations to U11’s Mum - Rachel Harrison – who completed her first Iron Man event last Sunday in Tenby. She has raised £900 for her chosen charity and it's not too late for anyone to donate - https://www.totalgiving.co.uk/mypage/rachel-ironman The event covered a 2.4km swim; 112km bike ride and a marathon to finish.
UPANDCOMING EVENTS AT KRFC
16th Sept Olney, Int Cup, 3pm
16th Sept Colts v Rugby Lions, 3pm
30th Sept Nuneaton Old Eds, 3pm
1st Oct Second XV Shield v Old Covents, 2.15pm
14th Oct Ladies Day
19th Oct Scott Quinnell Dinner
21st Oct Silhillians, Former Players Lunch