KENILWORTH RFC NEWS: 15th Dec 2017
Big game for first XV tomorrow against Southam, 2.15, preceded by Christmas Lunch
Big night at the club on Wednesday – Santa 7’s followed by a night of entertainment
Pirates Lunch on 6th Jan before Malvern
Santa is visiting on Sunday!
THE CLUB WISHES ALL OUR MEMBERS AND GUESTS A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR
• The only game played last week was our Pirates who played Old Coventrians Vets in the Wal Prescott Memorial match on Friday night – they had a superb 45-10 win with tries for with tries for Adam Turner, Tim Wilson, Luke Watts (2), James Fitzpatrick, Mark Bennett & Ian Phillips, Mark Bennett contributing the extras with his boot. Both the Men’s and Ladies’ league games were called off. If you are interested Droitwich won the big top of the table game last week, defeating Malvern 24-18.
• This week the first XV have a home fixture against Southam who have won four of their ten games (Leamington, Nuneaton Old Eds, Old Yardleians and Evesham – all at home) and are lying in 9th spot, scoring 257 points and conceding 235. Last week they lost at home to Silhillians, 20-32. The programme for the game (in full colour thanks to Emmerson Press) will be up on the web site later on today. As always there will be regular tweets during the game.
• The Second XV were due to travel to Rugby Lions but at the time of writing this piece they have asked that the game be switched to Kenilworth and it is almost certainly now likely to be played on our superb training pitch. This is to be confirmed.
• The Colts have an away day on Sunday 17th Dec and they are travelling to play Oxford Harlequins. There is a coach going and everyone is invited on it to support the boys!
• The Santa 7s are definitely on for the 20th Dec from 6pm with all teams now confirmed but with some spaces if you wish to turn up on the night for a run out. During and after the games there will be a BBQ and PAG has organised a variety of entertainment including Christmas music, communal Carol Singing, individual performances and anything else you fancy. Even if you cannot make the 7’s come down later for what sounds like a really good night to start off Christmas.
• Another PAG event is the annual Christmas BaBa’s fixture in memory of Alex Wallis and this has now been arranged for under the lights on Friday 29th December against Princethorpe Old Boys, kick off 7pm.
• Our recent Second XV win at Old Laurentian has seen us progress to the semi finals of that competition and we have been drawn away at Shipston. The other semi final is Berkswell & Balsall against Silhillians. The ties will be played on Sunday 28th Jan at the venue of the home drawn team. There is no news yet of the Warwickshire Shield.
• The Ladies have been drawn away at Wymondham in the next round of their cup on the 7th Jan. There is a coach going.
• There is a worrying decrease in the numbers attending the touch rugby sessions on a Wednesday night and the guys who run it have asked me to bring this to everyone’s attention in the hope that more can attend. The sessions are at the Training Pitch at the Cow Patch starting at 7pm.
• On Sunday (16th) our M&J Chairman Kerry has organised for a Mr S Claus to attend the club with a bag of goodies. He will be at the main club late morning and I am told you should attend your normal session which will be shorter than normal to get back to the club for the big man.
• The opening hours during the Festive Season are now on the web site – a really good night is normally Christmas Eve when the club opens at 6pm.
• …………………..and finally our Steward Paul (with Brad) is off to Australia on Tuesday to visit his daughter in Brisbane. We wish him a good trip. In his absence the bar will be run and managed by the lovely Sam.
UPANDCOMING EVENTS AT KRFC
16th Dec v Southam, 2.15 Xmas Lunch
17th Dec Visit by S Claus, late morning
20th Dec Santa 7s and Return to Rugby night, and Carol Singing!
24th Dec Club open from 6pm
29th Dec Barbarians v Princethorpe OB’s, 7pm
6th Jan v Malvern, Pirates Lunch, 2.15 ko
6th Jan Colts v Broadstreet, 2.15 ko
13th Jan Second XV v Old Laurentian, 2.15 ko
27th Jan Old Yardleians, 2.15 ko
27th Jan Colts v Rugby St Andrews, 2.15 ko
28th Jan Second XV away at Shipston, Shield ½ final, 2.15 ko
Note: we have both BT Sport and Sky Sports so all rugby that is available will be shown.