KENILWORTH RFC NEWS: 3rd NOV 2017
Club press release on Ground Sale and Re-Location now issued
Spaces available at Christmas Lunch on 16th Dec, plus request for prizes
• Those who attended Barkers last week came back enthusing over one of the best Kenilworth performances for a very long time, a crushing 48-5 win. The day did not start too well with the Barkers pack dominant but a tactical switch at prop saw us take the initiative and put on a tremendous defensive, then attacking, show with eight tries from Charlie Stevens (2), Harry Philpot, Mikkel Andresen (2), Sam Went, Rhys Jones and Gaz Renowden. With Malvern and Droitwich both winning with bonus points we remain third in the league, four and three points behind. The report on the game, with pics, is on the web site. Back at home our second XV also won defeating Barkers 34-29 with a very late try. Our depleted Colts lost to Stratford, 10-40. On the Sunday our Ladies travelled to Wellingborough and had another big win, 48-0 to retain their top spot.
• The first XV are back at home tomorrow against Berkswell & Balsall, coached by Henry Rheeders. They have won two of their six league games to date and lie sixth in the league. Games between us are always close and, occasionally, a tadge controversial. It is a 2.15 kick off and the programme for the game will be on our web site from tonight. Regular tweets will be sent out during the game. The U7’s are being the mascots for the day. Our Second XV are playing away at Old Laurentian in the Warwickshire Shield on Saturday at 2.15. Our Colts were due to play Leamington Colts but both teams have injury problems and it has been agreed to call off the fixture and play it sometime later. Disappointment for the Ladies in that their league opposition on Sunday, Bridgnorth, have called off the fixture.
• Next weekend the ones have another week off and the second XV and Colts are both at home against Newbold and Earlsdon. On Sunday the Ladies have a double header with their Development Squad taking on Oxford and the first XV taking on Five Ways Old Eds in the cup. Keep an eye on the web site for the kick off times for these games, and the location.
• In conjunction with our main sponsor, Andrew Whiting, we are organising an electronic club Christmas card which is to be designed by a M&J member. The request for a design has now been issued (for submission by the 19th Nov) with the selection taking place on 24th Nov. The winner will receive a £50 voucher for the club shop. Full info is on the web site.
• There are still logs to be had at the Cowpatch and full details of how to gather them were in a previous Newsletter. In the next week or so it is planned to organise a work party(ies) to do a clear up prior to the planting of the new trees. Watch this space for info.
• PAG has been busy organising and there is to be a Santa 7s on the 20th Dec from 6pm – we are running this in conjunction with our Return to Rugby scheme so if you know of a lapsed player then please let them know and hopefully we can encourage them back to playing for the club. There will be eight teams of mixed abilities, gender and ages and these teams will be sorted out on the night to ensure a level playing standard. It is also planned to have the BBQ going and to finish the night with a bout of Carol Singing at the club so even if you are not playing then why not come down and begin the Christmas period with a bang.
• We thank John at Emmerson Press for agreeing to print our Return to Rugby invitational postcard, collate the 500+ addresses and frank and post them to – a truly wonderful gesture.
• Another PAG event is the annual Christmas BaBa’s fixture in memory of Alex Wallis and this has now been arranged for under the lights on Friday 29th December against Princethorpe Old Boys, kick off 7pm.
• We have now issued our progress statement on our proposed Ground Sale and Relocation and you can find this on the home page of the web site. It will also be included in our match programme for tomorrow.
UPANDCOMING EVENTS AT KRFC
11th Nov Berkswell & Balsall, 2.15
11th Nov England v Argentina on TV, 2.30
18th Nov Colts v Earlsdon, 2.15
18th Nov 2nd XV v Newbold, 2.15
18th Nov England v Australia on TV, 2.30
19th Nov Ladies DS v Oxford, 12.30 (?)
19th Nov Ladies v Five Ways, cup, 2.30 (?)
25th Nov 2nd XV v Stratford, 2.15
25th Nov England v Samoa on TV, 2.30
2nd Dec Earlsdon, 2.15
2nd Dec Colts v Barkers Butts, 2.15
16th Dec Southam, 2.15 Xmas Lunch
20th Dec Santa 7s and Return to Rugby night, and Carol Singing!
29th Dec Barbarians v Princethorpe OB’s, 7pm
Note: we have both BT Sport and Sky Sports so all rugby that is available will be shown. The Autumn Internationals will all be shown.