KENILWORTH RFC NEWS, 10th JAN 2014
New News: LOTS OF!
• A fourth win on the trot, but only just, at Stratford, 20-18 and we retained our 5th spot in the league. The report outlining the drama that unfolded, and the pics, are on the web site.
• The Cavaliers defeated a strong Newbold 2's, 30-14 whilst the 3's had a great win away at Leamington, 22-14. There are reports on both games on the web site. The Colts did not play.
• This weekend the ones are at home to Walsall in a game sponsored by AJA Architects and kicking off at 2.15. It should be a close, high scoring game as we both have similar points totals and Walsall lie in 4th, three points above us. The game earlier in the season was a cracker with Walsall winning 45-43 with the last kick of the game. If you cannot make the game then the programme for the game will be up on the site by Friday night and there will be a Twitter feed @kenilworthrugby.
• Jake Dodd picked up an injury last week that will keep him out of tomorrow and Jonny Openshaw is out for a while with a dislocated shoulder. The team (at the moment) is Collett, Cresswell, Lowthian, Lane, Wadey, Mills, Watts, Thompson, Selby, Glover, Beckett, Sheehan, Tyler, Hickman, Kendall: subs: Gibson (M), Flowers and Jepps.
• The Cavaliers are away at Nuneaton Old Eds and the 3's are at Shottery. The Colts were in the pool for a game.
• There is good news on our sale and new ground. Things are progressing nicely and we have now formed a Committee to look at the design of the clubhouse and the new ground. Members of the committee have been drawn from all sections of the club and the first meeting took place on the 9th Jan.
• Did you know that Kenilworth RFC first XV have been shortlisted for the "Team of the Year" in the Warwick District Sports Awards on the back of our instant return to Midlands 1 and only losing two league games during the season. We are up against Kenilworth Wardens and Leamington FC and the final decision is taken by a panel towards the end of January. Scrum half Gareth Renowden was also nominated for his 22 tries in the 24 games he played in but he was not chosen for the final shortlist.
• It is RFU raffle time and we are again asking you to help support the club by selling the tickets which will be issued to all members within the next two weeks. The club receives 90% of what we raise in this raffle. This year the funds will all go to the Roof Appeal which is aimed at providing a badly needed new roof for the clubhouse as we have a particularly bad leak over one of the changing rooms. The materials will cost in the region £6000 and the work will be done by volunteers. We are fortunate that we will get 50% of this by way of a grant from the RFU so our target is £3000 and the club would greatly appreciate your help by selling these tickets. There are many really superb prizes on offer so it should be easy to sell these tickets. By way of a further incentive we have arranged for Sytner BMW of Coventry to give a top class BMW or Mini for the weekend and there will be a draw for this prize for those who return their tickets on time, Friday 21st February 2014 at the latest.
• Please note that Touch Rugby on a Wednesday night has had to be put on hold till further notice due to the state of the first XV pitch.
• KENILWORTH JAZZ: There is a new Jazz Club starting up at the club on a Monday night from 3rd February. On this night the Tom Green Select will play. Doors will open at 8pm (bar open from 6pm) and a charge of £6 will be made on the door. Other dates currently set are 3rd March, 12th May and 2nd June.
• A BURNS SUPPER: We are looking at the possibility of holding a Burns Supper on Friday 24th Jan and have some interest. If you would like to attend this event then please contact Peter Blakeman.
• WARWICKSHIRE SECOND XV CUP: We have been drawn away at Sutton Coldfield in the semi final of the 2nd XV Cup and this is to be played on Sunday 9th Feb. I am sure we will put out a strong and competitive side and the boys would really appreciate a big support in a very winnable game. The other semi is between Pinley and Broadstreet.
• FORTHCOMING EVENTS
Fri 24th Jan Burns Supper (tbc)
Sat 25th Jan v Berkswell & Balsall, sponsored by Baker Jayne
Mon 3rd Feb Jazz Night, Tom Green Select, 8pm
Sun 9th Feb Warwickshire 2nd xv cup semi final – Sutton Coldfield, away, 2.15
Sat 15th Feb v Hereford, sponsored by Pinnock Bell
Sat 22nd Mar v Malvern, Charity Lunch
Sat 5th Apr v Old Laurentian, Former Players Lunch
NEWS OF MEMBERS
• The club takes great pleasure in announcing that Gareth and Rachel Renowden have a new baby boy - Willem David Renowden was born on New Years Eve and we wish them well.